Thursday, November 02, 2006

Bad pharmacists

Bad pharmacists really irritate me. I got a prescription for my partner at 9:30 tonight, from a 100 hour pharmacy. The script was for Naproxen 250mg, one three times a day, and Co-codamol, 30/500mg, two four times a day. Now my partner has never been to this pharmacy before, so the pharmacist didn't know if these drugs had been taken before. But what happened? The prescription was dispensed and handed to me with absolutely no adivce whatsoever. This is unacceptable. It's not as if the pharmacy was busy - I was the only one anywhere near it, so it must be either laziness or incompetence. Either way it's just not good enough. Both of these drugs need counselling on, or at least checking if they have been taken before. Co-codamol can cause drowsiness and constipation, and contains paracetamol, while naproxen needs to be taken with food. Naproxen is also in the same group of drugs as ibuprofen, so it is important that they are not taken together. There was also no patient information leaflet with the naproxen - it is now a legal requirment to supply a PIL with all dispensed medicines. I think I might be phoning the manager tomorrow to complain, as this is just not on.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading your blog - btw I'm a pharmacy student. Keep it going!

8:54 am  
Blogger Nostrumdammit said...

I agree wholeheartedly.
When I'm out of town and therefore not recognised by my colleagues, I've been appalled by standards of service and delivery too. Usually in multiple pharmacies.

Did you ring?
What happened?
Next please!

9:17 am  
Blogger UK Community Pharmacist said...

Thanks for the comments!

I phoned the pharmacy the next day, but it's run on locums, with no manager. And could anyone find a number or email for the area manager, so no-one to pass my concerns on to. Great.

8:31 pm  
Blogger Nostrumdammit said...

Time to name and shame!
Every organisation should have a recognised and accessible complaints prodedure.
This is particularly important with health care.

10:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About PILs... I guess with the new equipment which is being supplied by the PMR companies, that PILs can be printed out and given to patient. Sometimes the PILs are not given because there is no PIL in the box (because that one was already given to a patient)? I don't know about the individual case that you experienced...

About complaints.... I am very suprised that noone can be contacted. Every pharmacy is supposed to have a lead pharmacist? Is there not a notice at the 100 hour pharmacy you went to?

8:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The patient obviously has a mouth. Put it to use and ASK. Why would you consume something you know nothing about?

12:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In reply the above anonmouse comment:

The patient also tends to reply on the expertise of the pharmacist to advise them when taking medecines. Something a doctor would do as a matter of course.

Obviously you have a brain, why not try to engage that before typing a message on the internet. Fool.

5:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cunt

5:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home