Saturday, December 23, 2006

The week before Christmas

Am I glad this week is over? Oh yes. Anyone who knows anything about community pharmacy will know that this is the busiest time of the year, along with Easter. For some reason people go crazy and panic, and seem to think the GP surgery is closed for four weeks and the pharmacy closed for three weeks, as opposed to four days and three days. This week I've been working at what is already a busy pharmacy, and it has just been non-stop over the last week. They are on schedule to do 20,000 items in December. At least the boss will be happy.

I was expecting the pharmacy I was at today to be busy, given it's the last day they are open before Christmas, but it wasn't too bad, and I only had to make one emergency supply, which must be some kind of record. Just as well it was a Saturday though, otherwise I'd probably have spent half the day on the phone to a GP, trying to figure out why he had given three months worth of Crestor 10mg daily to a lady who hasn't been on any other statin, and who hadn't even been told what their cholesterol was.

So, I've got a couple of days off, and some time to get acquainted with a good bottle of Scotch and some good books, before turning my attention to the changes that are coming my way next year.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope you had a nice few days off.

so what did you do about the crestor problem?

8:48 pm  
Blogger UK Community Pharmacist said...

not much I could do really. Its not wrong, just a bit of an unusual choice (and still black triangle I think). I suggested the patient waited until after the new year and had a chat with her GP about her cholesterol levels and choice of statin.

11:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get me wrng, but is it a pharmacist's job to sort out what kind of statin patient needs?
Or it's only about the level of cholesterol concentration?

6:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home